India is a country with a rich cultural and architectural heritage, with many sites that have been recognized as UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
Here are 10 must-visit UNESCO World Heritage Sites in India:
1. Taj Mahal - Agra The Taj Mahal, located in Agra, is one of the most famous and beautiful mausoleums in the world. Built in the 17th century by the Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan in memory of his wife Mumtaz Mahal, the Taj Mahal is an architectural marvel and a symbol of love.
2. Red Fort - Delhi The Red Fort in Delhi is a historic fort that was built in the 17th century by the Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan. It served as the residence of the Mughal Emperors for almost 200 years and is now a major tourist attraction in Delhi.
3. Hampi - Karnataka Hampi is an ancient city located in Karnataka, India. It was the capital of the Vijayanagara Empire in the 14th century and is now a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Hampi is known for its beautiful temples, palaces, and monuments, and is a popular destination for tourists.
4. Khajuraho Group of Monuments - Madhya Pradesh The Khajuraho Group of Monuments is a collection of Hindu and Jain temples located in Madhya Pradesh, India. Built between the 9th and 10th centuries, the temples are famous for their intricate carvings and sculptures.
5. Ajanta and Ellora Caves - Maharashtra The Ajanta and Ellora Caves are a collection of Buddhist, Hindu, and Jain temples and monasteries located in Maharashtra, India. They were built between the 2nd century BC and the 10th century AD and are famous for their exquisite sculptures and paintings.
6. Mahabalipuram Group of Monuments - Tamil Nadu The Mahabalipuram Group of Monuments is a collection of temples and other structures located in Tamil Nadu, India. Built in the 7th and 8th centuries, the temples are famous for their intricate carvings and sculptures.
7. Fatehpur Sikri - Uttar Pradesh Fatehpur Sikri is a historic city located in Uttar Pradesh, India. It was built by the Mughal Emperor Akbar in the 16th century and served as his capital for 14 years. The city is famous for its beautiful palaces and mosques.
8. Qutub Minar - Delhi The Qutub Minar is a historic tower located in Delhi, India. Built in the 13th century, it is the tallest brick minaret in the world and is a major tourist attraction in Delhi.
9. Humayun's Tomb - Delhi Humayun's Tomb is a mausoleum located in Delhi, India. Built in the 16th century, it is the first garden-tomb in the Indian subcontinent and is a major example of Mughal architecture.
10. Sanchi Stupa - Madhya Pradesh The Sanchi Stupa is a Buddhist monument located in Madhya Pradesh, India. Built in the 3rd century BC, it is one of the oldest and most important Buddhist sites in India and is famous for its exquisite carvings and sculptures.
If you are looking for heritage tour packages, we can help you. Travellers near me is a leading travel and tourism company in India, active across various travel segments including Leisure Travel, Incentive Travel and Business Travel. We provide domestic and International tour packages with tourist visa services.